Skip to main content

Reply to "Intrinsic factors for draft eligible players"

Mr D, As a moderator, I have the same privlege's that you do. I can voice my opinion as can you.

As for the 8 faults that you wrote about, here are my answers:

1. I agree about fear.

2.The hand hitch that Ruth, Williams, Foxx, F.Robinson, Mays, Aaron, Strawberry, Davis , K. Mitchell and Bonds use is hardly a fault. If your hands are at shoulder height when the front foot comes down, you are in position to hit.

3. Long stride---Ruth, Musial, Mantle,Mays, Aaron, Brett and S. Green all have long strides.

4. Head pull---I agree that it is a bad habit, but where I don't agree is that it is difficult to correct.

5. Upper Cutting------95% of the players in the Hall of Fame had an upswing. All the great hitters with some pop swing into the path of the ball which is an upswing. You say stay on top of the ball-----please explain what this means.

6. Sweeping the bat-----actually, hitters who start the swing with their hands will be more apt to sweep the bat. If you start with the hip rotation, you won't have to deal with this problem as much.

7. Dead bat----I agree, but you have already said that a hand hitch is bad, and now you say that a hitter needs to trigger his swing.

8. wrapping the bat-----90% of the top hitters in MLB will have the sweet spot of the barrel centered with their spine when their front foot comes down. This is a wrap.

My experience comes from filming major league hitters since 1979 and studying their swings. I am not interested in what other scouts think, I am interested in what really happens in the swing, and the best way to find out is to study it in slow motion and frame by frame. I have been doing that for a long time and will continue to do it in the future.
Last edited {1}