Skip to main content

Reply to "Invitation to visit"

Thank you! 

Both overnight visits went well.  However, one school was the clear better fit. Son told coaches he needed some time to finish the exploration process—there are maybe five more schools in the mixer. But he said he could absolutely see himself there and said he thinks it’s amazing.

Two others have made offers, but son hasn’t visited and is a little less excited due to reasons of geography or academics.

Another two schools have been communicating with him and have invited him to visit. The first school I thought would be the one, initially. Son really hit it off with coach. But as the weeks passed, communication slowed, then stopped. Son continued to send emails and video here and there, but I think he decided to focus on the ones that seemed to really want him. Well, sure enough, said coach bubbled back up recently, asking questions and being all friendly again. Son told him he was so glad to hear from him because he had two visits coming up and another being planned. He told coach he was still very interested and asked for a phone call. THEN... my kid somehow missed a reply email from coach —and the call was missed .

He let the coach know right away that he had made that mistake and asked for a mulligan. Coach went radio silent again.

That week son went on visits, got two offers—fell in love with a different school.

Now we are left trying to decide if it’s worth it to go visit last couple of schools. They are far away. Expenses are adding up. But most importantly, son will have to miss even more school and HS baseball games. With a tough schedule this year, three more absences could be hard to rebound from. 

Son says he’d like to visit this third school for sure. I think the visits are fun for him and he likes the feeling of being courted maybe. But with one wonderful offer in hand, I’d honestly prefer he just be grateful and start getting excited about this opportunity. Call it a day. Then we can RELAX...

Husband disagrees. He says we need to see it through. We are at odds again. 

I’m trying to check myself—am I just kind of over this process?  Wouldn’t it be nice to wrap it up? Great school, done.