Skip to main content

Reply to "Invited for official visit"

JCG posted:

Depends on the major, how strongly attached he is to it, and what other majors they offer.  For example if they don't have business but do have economics, I'd go for it. If he wants materials engineering but they only have chemical and mechanical, I'd go for it.  If he wants viticulture and the closest they have is biology, then that may be a problem.  Lots of kids change majors. No harm in taking the visit and seeing what comes of it.

JCG pretty much nails it. I didn't type this earlier, but I wish I would have.

Expecting  a 17-18 yr old to know what he wants to do for a career after college or locking himself into what he thinks he wants to be or do isn't very realistic. I'm all for the 'undeclared ' guys.

Old dudes like me know life or a career isn't usually a 'straight line' it can be quite the opposite .

That being said, I have friends here who's sons knew EXACTLY what they wanted to do. And picked schools accordingly. And have gone on to successful careers in their chosen fields.That needs to be considered too. There is no correct answer. Every kid is different .

My son went into a respectable liberal arts school in the south this fall undeclared but with the notion of obtaining a business degree.

3 months into it all he talks about is the computer science class. He clearly likes it and who knows, maybe he goes in that direction.

Personally, I hope he stays curious and open to new ideas and career paths. I think that is what college life should be about.

But I stand by my original post that for 2017's that want to PLAY BASEBALL.......It's getting late.

Last edited by StrainedOblique