Skip to main content

Reply to "Invited for Overnight D3 Visit"

A D3 "offer" takes various forms, and you need to figure out which is the one for each school. 

- if it's a school where he might not otherwise get in (either because his scores are slightly low, or because it is extremely selective), then an "offer" is the coach saying, "I want you on the team, and I will make it work with admissions."  Alternatively, he might say "if you get in on your own, I'd be glad to have you on the team," which is not the same kind of "offer"

- if it's a school where he would likely be admitted on his own, then an offer could be  "I don't take more than 35 people on the team, and you would be one of the 35" (plenty of stories here on hsbbw of how that could play out)

- or, at a school where he would likely be admitted, an offer could simply be "I like you and I'd be glad to have you on the team."  In that case, the team could have over 50 players.

My suggestion is to try to get a sense of which of these you are dealing with, before you plan a visit, especially if it's a long way away.  If they do an academic pre-read, you want to know what the result is - coach should tell you some version of the above statements.  You still might choose to do the visit, but at least you'll have a better sense of what kinds of questions you and your son should be asking while there (especially asking the team members during the overnight part).