Skip to main content

Reply to "Is 10 years too soon to do this to a ballplayer/kid?"

We're talking about a 12 yo, right? I wonder if anyone asked him what he wants to play. In LL, I noticed that the coach's kids always seemed to be pitchers and SS's Most of them did neither when they hit HS, if they played at all. My son had a coach in Minors that told the kids they would play every position that yr. 'cause you don't know what ya like if ya haven't played it. When he had the All-Star team that yr., he asked for volunteers to play OF. Of course, since ALL the coach's kids made the team, no one except the kids from our team had ever even seen the OF. My son has been a SS, pitcher, or thrower as he likes to call himself, CF, LF and catcher. He's even been known to play 1st and 3rd on occasion. He caught alot during LL and that's where I thought he'd stay. After informing us of the damage to the knees in later yrs, he mainly played OF and loves it. Played CF mostly in HS, gets to college and they put him in the 1 position he never played in his life - RF. Worked his butt off and got back to Left and Center before the season was over. Who knows about this season. I wouldn't let anyone tell my son what he should play, at least not at that age. Only he can decide where he's comfortable and he'll probably change his mind in the coming yrs. anyway.