Skip to main content

Reply to "Is 10 years too soon to do this to a ballplayer/kid?"

As a manger, what you did by not giving your son "special priveledges" most probably taught him some life lesson that helped him to get to
where he is today.

The greatest thing my husband ever did was step aside when he was younger and not be his coach. He wanted for him to play on his own merit, not because Dad was coach. And we never sponsored a team.
There were also many times when coaches asked son to play, no fee, because they "needed" him. We never gave into that, we didn't want special favors. I also have seen where some kids suffered because dad was coach, they had to sit while others played, year after year, so it didn't look like dad was coaching just for the son to play. Many of them were really good players and should have been in every game because of their ability. Many gave up ball because of that. It is a double edge sword, can work for or against you, in some cases.

I feel sorry for the annoited one, as many of these kids that get to play because of parental influence end up going nowhere because they didn't have to WORK at being better, it came too easy for them.

JMO.
Last edited by TPM