Skip to main content

Reply to "Is 90s possible?"

XplosivePancake posted:

So I haven’t picked up a baseball in 2 years and have decided to try to play at a JC. As a junior in hs I topped at 86mph. Got way stronger after I quit. Current maxes: squat 385, bench 245, 15 pull-ups (202 bw), 185 reverse lunge, 375 deadlift. Can long toss up to 300ft. Have been throwing for a few months and got on the mound for the first time yesterday, was at 80-84. Is it realistic to expect to gain another 6+mph? I’m sure my mechanics could use some improvement and I should gain some more arm strength considering my arm was pretty gassed after 10 pitches. I’m 19, 6’1 202 lbs. I know velo isn’t everything, but it’s prob the most important. 

I think you are on the right track with mechanical improvements.  You've got some power in those legs...use them.   "Arm strength" for pitching is kind of a misnomer.   You want your pitching arm to be flexible (like a whip)...try bands and yoga to keep that upper half flexible and core strong.  If this is something you are definitely serious about, I'd find a local experienced pitching coach that can help you get on the right track.    As always, JMO.

Good luck!