Skip to main content

Reply to "Is a 15 YO Soph too young to attend a legit Showcase Combine ?"

quote:
you mean colleges were offering scholarships to your players and they were unaware of what year they were in school???

I read his comment to refer to birth date, not class year. His point was that class year governs, not birth date.

And I fully understand his point. I still get parents telling me "he's a sophomore but he's only 15u." Their point is that if he lags behind his classmates he has an excuse. And SGV's point is, no one cares about your excuses. Your classmates are who you have to compete against when it comes to college recruiting.

Moreover, since the aging date got moved from Aug. 1 back to May 1 five or so years ago, the fact that you are supposedly a year young may not really be so for those who've been around long enough to remember the way things used to be.

But I do think that if a player shows great talent and is also a tad on the young side, it's a plus in that he may be seen as someone who still has room to improve just from maturing physically. So I think being young is a plus if you're a standout AND young. But the way most people use it as an excuse for being only average in their class, is not going to hold sway with anybody.

I say this just to bolster sgv's comment, but in this case I don't think the original poster is using it as a crutch anyway. All I took from his birth date comment was he was right on age for his grade, not performing well because he was actually old for his grade or anything. All in all I'd say a kid throwing mid-80's before his sophomore season starts is on track to become a hot commodity.
Last edited by Midlo Dad