Skip to main content

Reply to "Is baseball declining?"

Thanks coach. I guess you can tell that this topic kind of gets me going. I remember walking over to the cage to work with the JV guys a couple of years ago. I get there and I want to work on some dry swing drills with the guys so I tell them all to grab their bat and walk over where I am and make a circle. I tell them to put their bat on their shoulder and I notice that out of 20 guys only about seven or eight have a bat. I say where are your bats? They reply that they dont have a bat.

Well "Have you got a playstation? How many of those 50 dollar games that go with it do you have? How many cd's do you have? How about a fishing pole , shotgun , rifle , stereo system? They all look at me like I am crazy. What did you ask Santa for Christmas? Did you know then that you didnt have a bat? So you know you were coming out for baseball and you didnt have a bat but you asked Santa for a X box? So you want me to coach you everyday and work my tail off to help you be a player and you dont care enough about being a player to even own a bat?"

Hel I even had a kid show up to tryouts with a teenage mutant ninja turtle glove. I am serious. It was green and had all the turtles on the fingers of the glove. And in the palm of the glove was a picture of Shredder. The darn thing was plastic. And the kid had no idea why my "players" were falling out.

I come here to talk to baseball folks. Real baseball folks. I had to spend an entire hour in the AD's office over this incident. I had to explain to the mom in front of the AD why the players were laughing at her son. I explained to her after I stopped laughing I told the players to stop. And she was shocked when her son was cut. LMAO