Skip to main content

Reply to "Is baseball declining?"

quote:
Originally posted by cwm:
Most of the time the kids will go home and "google" those guys and they'll come back with stories about them.

I've had quite an opposite experience with my kid, who loves playing baseball today as much as when he was little. He never really cared about the heroes of the game, or any of the rich history. All he ever wanted to do was play. To him, it has always been about what it is like for him to play - who's on his team, who's his coach, who's playing what position and are they the right guy for that position. And yes, ever since he was in T-ball, the most important thing to him was whether his team was winning. Sorry, I just can't fix that.

I've introduced him to ex-Major Leaguers (through fortunate contacts), and to this day he can't tell you who they were. He lost the autographed baseball I got him. He'll watch a game on TV with interest, but only to see they plays - won't remember a thing about the score or who played.

I don't know if this means he's part of this disastrous "decline of baseball", but he's always been a fantastic player, and is having a great HS career. And still loves to play.