Skip to main content

Reply to "Is baseball declining?"

quote:
Originally posted by ClevelandDad:
quote:
His story is what I describe within one of my posts = True.

Coach Milburn - what part of PWRED's story ring true? There must be a dozen contradictions in that story as Coach May pointed out. For example, do you agree that scouts only watch who they are told to watch? That two high school coaches determine who all the college players are going to be in that area? Without their blessing it is not possible to play at VCU? There are more sinister conspiracy theories here than truth imho.

Here you go ... straight from the horses mouth so-to-speak ... with this individuals opinion after watching the progress of this through high school over the last several years.

quote:
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 12:08 PM
Subject: RE: hsbaseballweb
To: coachmilburn@gmail.com

I agree -- I lived this ridiculous process for way too long. Parents are d*a*m*e*d if they do and d*a*m*e*d if they don't put up the money for their sons to play at the so called "elite" level. Unfortunately for youth baseball these days, parents have to pay for their sons to play (i.e., Travel Ball and Showcases) and appear to be competitive to high school coaches.

I think these types of programs are what is hurting the development baseball players and I truly believe the baseball today is not getting the best players at the college level any longer; because many of those players have been weeded out of the process for financial reasons and not for talent reasons.

(******) played on the travel team which has now become (******************) program,. Our players only paid $135.00 for the summer.

Interestingly we played the (********************) and had them beat 4 - 0 after five innings; 4 -2 after six innings and the (***********) tied the game in the bottom of the seventh inning 4 - 4 because of two routine errors.

Coincidently we were never scheduled to play against the (****************) again -- because a $135.00 per player team made up of untouted players had just beat (with the exception of two last inning errors) a team of touted players whose parents were paying about $10,000 for their sons to play showcase baseball.

Travel ball and showcase ball is nothing more than a way for some coaches to get paid and to promote their own sons.

Today many players with potential who are not hooked up in the system are simply left to play in "lesser" leagues.

The problem is that the high school and college coaches have bought into this travel ball clearing house concept when they form up their teams. It's just too bad and totally unfair to the players who can not afford to pay for travel ball.

Last edited by MILBY