Skip to main content

Reply to "Is baseball Different?"

My boys all swam competitively on club teams and still swim in HS as seniors, even the baseball playing one.  They also run xc.  The parents are similarly obsessive in those sports, big difference I see is the objectivity with swimming and running.  The athletes either have the area/state cuts or they do not.  In my opinion baseball lets people believe, longer, in the odds of "one good season" or are more readily able to blame "one bad coach" for their kid's success.  Swimming and running parents are not able to engage in as much finger-pointing - the kid either has the talent or does not.  Also, a lot of swim kids in particular get burned out with the practice routine for nominal or no gains and decide they are just done by the time HS wraps up. 

My college baseball bound kid had a higher level of interest for college running - there are often publicized set recruiting standards and coaches reach out to gauge interest.  He was xc all-state for the past three years, easy to project.  It would have perhaps been a much easier path for him to follow but he enjoys the baseball world so much more, so there is that.