Skip to main content

Reply to "Is baseball Different?"

My kids played high school sports in a large classification school. My son lettered in three sports. My daughter lettered in four. Their travel experience outside baseball and softball was town level, in season travel leading up to high school. I didn’t find the insanity in travel soccer and travel basketball any different than baseball and softball.

I found the parents of girls travel sports to be far worse than boys sports. A friend surmised part of the problem in girls travel sports are the dads who are ticked off they don’t have boys. Although the only serious confrontation issue was when a mother assaulted my son after a U11 (ten year olds) travel soccer match.

Almost all of my kid’s friends went on to play a college sport. The high school had two former athlete, guidance counselors with expertise in placing athletes.

Everyone on my son’s high school soccer team except my son went on to play college soccer at some level. I recollect the conversations about recruiting at high school games being just as stressed out as baseball parents.