Skip to main content

Reply to "Is baseball Different?"

I also think basketball is another one of those sports where "too many" think their kid could get a scholly. The parents certainly all feel they know how to coach better than the coach and can officiate the best from the stands. Sorry your 5' 7" PF in HS in NH isn't getting a scholly at an ACC school. When I officiated in NC for a couple years, there were JV games where kids were dunking and moving the ball really well. They could beat most NH V teams. So it's all about perspective.

When I was commissioner of the 11/12 rec league I tried to give some parents a little perspective. I explained 80% of the kids, IF they have talent will be trying out for 1 or 2 due to their size. So they better be lights out shooters or lights out dribblers. Some the parents think are uncoordinated now will become 6’6” or taller starters.

A kid who travelled almost every time he touched the ball became a 6’7” 220 all state forward. He’s now 6’7” 275 NFL edge rusher. Another kid who tripped over the ball half the time he went between his legs at twelve became 6’4” agile as hell and could jump out of the room. He played hoops in the SEC.

i took both these kids on my 12u travel team. They didn’t play more than the minimum time I promised parents. But we worked with them until the coordination started coming after puberty in 14u.