Skip to main content

Reply to "Is baseball Different?"

@adbono posted:

Ted Williams is possibly the greatest hitter of all time. That conversation begins with him. And his book, The Science of Hitting, has stood the test of time. There is a current group of people that call themselves “swing coaches” that are promoting (for money, of course) a different type of swing that they call High Level Pattern (HLP). None of these “instructors” played the game at a high level and their concept is fundamentally flawed. Yet on Twitter they curse and besmirch former MLB players who attempt to call them out as frauds. It’s entertaining on one hand but also kind of disturbing because of the amount of (unknowledgeable) kids and parents that argue on behalf of the grifters. The point of bringing this up is to talk about the desired plane of the swing - which is SLIGHTLY uphill. The “instructors” that teach HLP and Launch Angle are doing a disservice to the people that are paying them for lessons. They are setting kids up to fail by teaching a swing that is TOO MUCH uphill - making it impossible to hit any pitch at the top of the strike zone. Which makes it easy to get them out.

Dang, so much truth is a paragraph!  I have been in on that from the start and some here may recall the good times in the hitting forum.  I could write a book about it.  Heck, I could write a couple of books about it.