Skip to main content

Reply to "Is cut on a four seam fastball a bad thing"

I will follow 3and2 comments and add...

Not totally my area of expertise but historically, max velocity is equated with an optimal natural sequence and release that results in some tail or straight, not cut.  Obviously, there are name players who lived off of a hard cutter but, generally, I don't believe a pitcher can obtain his max velo with a cut and it may or may not be a sign of mechanics or injury issues.

When that cut FB is intentional, it is accomplished by altering finger pressure.  3and2 mentions the injury aspect.  Interestingly, in my playing days, I had good tail with my 4-seam from the left side. this was the case whether pitching or making OF throws.  After a few significant shoulder injuries, my natural throws lost all tail and, in fact, slightly cut.  Even after full rehab, I couldn't get rid of the cut and couldn't get full velo back.

Easye22, I'm not suggesting you have or have had an injury but, as 3and2 suggests, it may be worthwhile to have a highly qualified P coach check mechanics.  If everything is clean, then yes, you may find it advantageous to use that different movement to your advantage.

PS - how old are you and how big are your hands?  Looking at the pics... depending on your answer, there may be another avenue to look for answers.

Last edited by cabbagedad