Skip to main content

Reply to "Is ERA a Valuable Statistic?"

I think stats are interesting but mean very little. Someone pitching against top schools will likely have worse stats than someone who pitches against poorer teams. What about extra base hits ?
I am a stats watcher because I can't watch my son play so I look at team stats as part of the fun.
Last year I saw 2 pitchers signed ML contracts with 2-9 records and one with a dounble digit ERA in a low D1 conference. I know on who was drafted out of HS who had terrible stats after TJ surgury and has managed to get his velo from 68 to 80 in 2 years of college ball. The scouts are talking to him again. I know guys who have been suspended by their elite teams who were signed out of HS. I watched a guy the other night who has been released by 2 or 3 ML teams and he was a beautiful guy to watch. Good velocity etc and I was wondering who would release this guy. Then I saw him act like a total morron. A batter called time while he was getting set and he threw the pitch at his head. He almost caused a fight. Then after he struck thye guy out he mouthed off at him as he headed for the duggout. Again almost causing a fight. I was sitting with his dad and I couls see where he got the attitude. No class. I told him his son should not have mouthed off at the batter which didn't go down well.
All I care about is that my son's stats are reasonable and that he is in the top 5 or so on his team. The reason I care about that is that he is fighting for more playing time. In a lot of cases one bad outting and you ride the pines for awhile.