Skip to main content

Reply to "Is he ready to showcase?"

phillyinNJ posted:

If there is a local one that costs under $100, then definitely go do it, but from what the numbers you posted he would most likely get lost in the crowd in a larger venue...

I'm not all for jumping in at 14, but then again, I'm not a fan of waiting two more years in your son's case until summer of rising Jr. year either.  Must be a balance, even at that early age for a kid to get exposed to the showcase world with no desire for exposure from it.  Big difference. 

Showcasing has a way of showing kids EXACTLY where they stand, or don't stand, in relation to their peer competition.  It can be sobering.  I realize a stopwatch, is a stopwatch, is a stopwatch; as is a radar gun.  Both can be operated by dad at the local park for free.  But denial is a powerful drug, especially when it involves a dad and his aspiring baseball son.  The evaluations one gets after a showcase can be sobering.  Usually are.  They can help a kid improve so that when he does have something to showcase, he can take the venue up a notch. 

I like PhillyinNJ's idea.  If any small money, local showcases, why not?  Can't see how it hurts?  Bottom line is no one is going to sniff unless the numbers are there, in at least one category. 

Last edited by #1 Assistant Coach