Skip to main content

Reply to "Is he ready to showcase?"

CaCO3Girl posted:
cabbagedad posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:

Isn't that where the instructional showcases, under $150, could be helpful at 14?  Not to be actually noticed but to get a critique that could help them improve.

Caco, if the objective is instruction and critique, wouldn't you get more bang for your buck with two or three private instruction lessons than one time with a large group and the possibility of volunteer instructors that may not be very good or engaged?

I think the camp would provide more bang for the buck.  However, the camp has to be vetted as to whom will be attending as instructors and that the number of participants is capped at a reasonable level of participants segregated by position.

30 minute private lesson = $50

7 hours with knowledgeable people that do this for a living surrounded by older players likely doing "it" better = $150

I'm thinking camp is the better option....but I'll let you know in January which he thinks he got more out of.

Hmmm... it will be interesting to hear your / his assessment at that time.  Remember, the question was framed with the objective being only instruction and critique.  My experience has been clearly on the other side of that viewpoint, more along the lines of those who have posted most recently.  

Things can be pointed out and introduced in a camp format but it is extremely difficult to really dig in, fine tune, reinforce, measure, etc. to achieve meaningful gains.  And while you can vet out specific camps, there is rarely any assurance that your player will spend any quality time with the coaches or instructors you are targeting.  When you research a private instructor, you are much more likely to get the product you signed up for.  

We often hope for that one gem of information that is a lightbulb coming out of a camp but, in reality, that same point and ten others will come from a whole series of privates.  And, often, that lightbulb moment has nothing to do with instruction.

Camps do have other purpose and can be worthwhile.  As always, mileage varies for each side of this.

Sorry to OP for the thread diversion, but at least it's somewhat related and can add relevant insight.

Last edited by cabbagedad