Skip to main content

Reply to "Is he ready to showcase?"

I understand why people place so much importance on measurables.  Everyone pays attention to them.  However, there is a lot more to baseball than running a 6.5 60 or hitting a ball 400'.  First of all there are kids that get drafted in the first round or being recruited by power college programs that can't do either of those things.  Nice for those that can, but those types are kind of rare.  What about hitting, throwing, fielding, instincts, thinking, being able to play the game?

"Good" instruction can be very valuable.  Not all instruction is "good"!

I sometimes read about the player that did nothing yet still got recruited and is happy.  Of course that happens at times and happiness doesn't mean happiest.  Almost always this is involving a local or regional college, often a lower level and with a low offer.  The same player  being known by many more colleges, becomes more in demand.  Even the local college needs to make their best offer to get that player.  Truth is there are many college players at small colleges or even lesser DI colleges that have the ability to play at any program in the country.  Either the player and his parents didn't know that or the top colleges in the country didn't know that.

The southern colleges don't plan on recruiting northern players.  But if they see one they like they will recruit him.  Then that player has options and leverage.  Even the northern schools are forced to pony up if they want that player.  Being a former small college coach and scout I realize that there are small college players that are talented enough they should get drafted and given the opportunity to play professional baseball.  Depending on the small college they play for, some actually get that opportunity.  Many others with outstanding ability will never even be considered.  There is a town league where I'm from that is full of former professional players and DI players.  By far, the best pitcher and best hitter this league has ever seen are a former small college player that never got a sniff of pro ball and a guy that never was recruited by a college or given a chance to play professionally.

Call it lack of exposure, or skeptism by decision makers, many small college players just get lost, just like many HS players get lost.  We had two pitchers at our small college that actually made it to the big leagues.  I had to work hard and risk credibility to get them a chance.  One was drafted in the 11th round. The other signed as a free agent.  If the kid that was drafted in the 11th round had been pitching for a SEC or most any DI, he would have been an easy 1st round pick.  He threw 97 with plus life and he had a plus slider and was a maniac competitor.  That is a resume for certain first round.  The other kid was a lefty that never came close to 90 mph for us.  But he had three quality pitches.

Some might say, so what he made it anyway.  Look up the difference between 1st round and 11th round.

IMO every player would benefit by being seen and evaluated by someone that is good at evaluating players.  Whether that evaluation tells you you're not the level you desire or you're better than the level you think you are... It can be beneficial.  Believe me, players and parents don't always know.

You don't need to sign up for the next possible PG Showcase.  We are not the only people that are good at evaluating talent.  Suggestion... Stay away from friends, no matter how good they might be, they are more than likely going to tell you what you want to hear, rather than what they really think. Don't go running to the nearest cheap showcase thinking you will get a good evaluation. While it is always possible, remember just like instructors and everything else, the good, bad and ugly exists.

I really know of nothing that can replace being seen by people that have seen thousands and thousands of players including those that have played at every level from World Series Champions to MLB All Stars to College All Americans down to lowest level DIII to none of the above.  I guess in that case that would be us!  To be honest, I don't personally see as many as I used to, we have many others working events these days.  But I see very few kids that can't play college baseball.  It's just a matter of what level.  I just don't think very many of those that can't play go to PG events.