Skip to main content

Reply to "Is he ready to showcase?"

Gator297 posted:

My son is an 8th grader (14yrs old), 6', 170lbs and still growing. He's left handed and has been pitching for 5 yrs. He also plays 1st and right field. GPA 4.0. He has good command and control on the mound. Last school season his ERA was 1.36/13.5 innings (not much time on the mound / team needed him on 1st).  His velocity is consistently between 69-72. Working on hitting 75 by start of this season. He plans on attending some camps / showcases this summer. With that said, I'm trying to get an idea if he would be competitive at these events or should he wait until his velocity is higher. I was told he should start now, but I'm not sure if the source was credible. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

.......Not yet. The magic number for LHP's at the NCAA Division 1 level is 85 mph. Until he sits in low 80's and maybe touches 84 I would not showcase him.

Also, be mindful of arm care. Summer / Winter no throw shut downs.

This whole recruiting thing looks like skill set, Velocity and development. It is. But it's not the entire picture. What not enough people tell you is how important arm care is.

Arm care is number #1