Skip to main content

Reply to "Is instruction from a college coach a Violation of NCAA rules?"

So funny that this is right up front for us. So here is the situation. A pitching coach for a fairly high-end D1 school, that had previously sent us a bunch of recruiting material, CALLED (yes, I said called) son (who is 16 and a JR) and said that he runs pitching lessons (off campus) one day a week in our area, and he would like son to come down and work with him. No mention of compensation (or lack thereof) was made. Im thinking two things 1) this just sounds like it could lead to a very iffy type of situation, and I just dont think that anyone wants to be in a position where things are being questioned, and 2)if other coaches get wind that son is working with this particular coach, they may go cold on him as far as the recruiting goes. I personally think that just by asking, this guy has put us in a bad spot. Say no, then you are not interested in that school, perhaps coach tells others that you are hard to work with, ect. Say yes, and you may be cutting off other opportunities, or worse yet, endangering your eligilbility. Is this sort of thing common? Coaches working with kids outside of camps, I mean? Any opinions would be helpful.