Skip to main content

Reply to "Is instruction from a college coach a Violation of NCAA rules?"

quote:
FWIW, I asked a D1 coach that question last week, I am surmissing by what he said that it is allowed, but one has to be very careful if one ever recruits that player, or players, might be miscontrued as a recruititing violation in the way of tryouts.

I do know that while in HS, many of sons teammates took lessons from a D1 coach in our area, that's why I asked that question. That coach is an assistant coach at a top 25 and I am sure he would not have done anything to jeopardize his school or his job.

Just to get everything clarified i called the NCAA to get the bylaw concerning private lessons. they're not allowed. i knew they weren't but i wanted to find the bylaw. she told me that it's considered a part of the bylaw about tryouts. One this is for certain and that's the fact that the NCAA doesn't work or allow for "gray area" when it comes to their rules and regulations.

Do some coaches still do them? Sure. I think it's a shame that they can't by law. It benefits all involved. Kids get professional instruction and coaches get to make a little extra money in a business that doesn't offer much of it. The local club bylaw is exactly as I explained it earlier. it allows a coach to coach a summer travel team of high school kids as long as the kids reside within 50 miles of the club.

13.11 TRYOU TS

13.11.1 Prohibited Activities. A member institution, on its campus or elsewhere, shall not conduct (or

have conducted on its behalf ) any physical activity (e.g., practice session or test/tryout) at which one or more

prospective student-athletes (as defined in Bylaw 13.11.1.1) reveal, demonstrate or display their athletics abilities

in any sport except as provided in Bylaws 13.11.2 and 13.11.3.

13.11.1.1 Definition of “Prospective Student-Athlete” for Tryout-Rule Purposes. For purposes of

the tryout rule, the phrase “prospective student-athlete” shall include any individual who has started classes for

the ninth grade and is not enrolled in the member institution at the time of the practice or test therein described.

(Revised: 1/11/89)