Skip to main content

Reply to "Is it "Bush" is it baseball? Your favorite trick play and when you stopped using it."

I coach high school and I've seen teams at this level do that play. Its all about reading the situation really. to decide when to use a trick play you have to realize some things about the other team, and yours. there is a lot that goes into it: is my runner on 3rd heads up and fast enough to score on the play? how are the infielders on the other team? are they going to drop the ball? in this play, usually its the 2nd or 1st baseman who will make the throw home, how are their arms? is my runner on first good at drawing out a long pickle? hows the catcher, is he a good leader who will call the play well? and the situation... you would only want to run that play with less than 2 outs of course. As far as when do you stop using these because they are not real baseball, thats a matter of opinion. These plays are a part of the game whether you like it or not, they are real baseball. im sure youll see from the other thread that there is a little bit of conflicting opinion on this. but the fact is that they are a part of the game. check out this play in the MLB.      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5wGxsxjmy0