Skip to main content

Reply to "Is it easy to learn deception?"

2019Dad posted:

I saw this in a scout's notes about a HS pitcher throwing 94, but getting squared up: ". . . he didn't seem to have much deception, but it's easier to learn deception and fastball movement that it is to learn to throw 94 mph."

My question is: is it easy to learn deception and fastball movement? Can anyone point to examples or pitchers who learned "deception"?

It seems to me that you'd likely have to change your mechanics, and who knows what the effects of doing that are.

P.S. -- I get his point about the difficulty of learning to throw 94. But I question the idea that it's relatively easy to learn deception and movement.

Dad, I would tend to doubt there is one universal definition, in the way the terms are applied.

Put in the context of the pitcher you observed, my immediate response is that scout speaking of deception in terms of a change up or off speed pitch thrown with the same motion as the fastball.

In terms of movement, the implication to me is either a 2 seam fastball or cutter type consideration.

To give a current illustration, it would be Hunter Strickland of the Giants (who got some notoriety for other reasons on the site.) He throws a 4 seam 98 MPH and we have seen some of the results.

The Giants are working with him on a curve ball, 2 seam and change so hitters see different speeds and different eye angles.  There is no change in his delivery.

Last edited by infielddad