Skip to main content

Reply to "Is it going too far?"

I find, for some reason, there is a lot of opposition to the butcher boy play. I've been calling it for years. I don't see it as any more dangerous to the third baseman than it is to the pitcher, unless he's coming WAY to close. A few years ago at a World Series event with a 12yo team, I called the play against a team from Texas whose 3b came flying down the line until he was about four feet from the plate. I tried to scream at my batter to not swing, but he put the bat on it and looped one down the line. the Texas coach went ballistic, claiming that that's an automatic out. Apparently, in his area of the woods there was something called the Texas Safety rule, a local rule outlawing the play. Needless to say, his kids didn't charge that far anymore. When I came to coaching youth baseball from coaching girls competitive softball, I was a little taken aback by how other coaches would respond. In softball it's a very widely used tactic.

I don't go with the "if it ain't on TV we don't do it" or "if we ain't paid we don't do it" mindset. the rules at different stages of baseball vary and so do the tactics. I'm not coaching a bunch of future pro players, so I use the tactics that are within the rules and further the goal of competition.

Last edited by roothog66