Skip to main content

Reply to "Is it going too far?"

roothog66:  it depends....what I mean is, what is the ultimate goal at each level...is there any level in youth baseball, let's say up to HS level, that winning the game, justifies the inherent / unnecessary danger those plays add.  I am not a fan of justifying it by saying, "well the pitcher is close", his position requires "him" to be in inherent danger, not so for 3B, or 1B, now you just added two more players.  I also don't agree with "this is just strategy" that is legal, and could further our chances of winning.  Luckily for you, there were no parents that had to see their 12 year old son carted off the field on a stretcher, because of "tactics within the rules of the game". 

I live in TX, and yes there are rules at 12u, that prohibit coaches from using tactics that put players in danger to win the plastic trophy.

If my son is earning a scholarship, or a paid professional baseball player, then yes it is fair game.  Also, the "if you don't see it on TV, we ain't doing it", comes from developing talent, rather than trick plays that at the older ages are easily defended against.  You must have also started runners from first base to get in intentional run downs at 9u, to get across the almighty last run for the trophy....I'm not a fan, especially since after a few years it will no longer work.  I used to run up scores on coaches like that.