Skip to main content

Reply to "Is it going too far?"

Look, the danger in that particular play is far overplayed. I've been doing it for years, seen it done a LOT in softball (and in my job I watch thousands of youth baseball and softball games every year). I have not seen even one incident come close to injury. here's why:

Corners coming in are in good fielding position to make a play on a line drive (far better than the pitcher). Additionally, it's rare that a hitter gets into the ball for the type of linedrive you're talking about. It's generally a strategy for pushing a grounder throught the hole.

As far as "using the rules" isn't that exactly what the Texas team I mention was trying to do? Flying right up to the plate and try to snag a linedrive bunt for the double play? Only difference was he was playing under rules that weren't in play. As a adanger I have far more of a problem with 12yo's pitching at 46'. Some of those kids are over 6' and the pitcher is far too close.

As far as the other tactics you mention, yes I've used them. You know why? They work. Those same tactics were used in the majors in the days of Ty Cobb. Why? Because they worked. If they worked today, they'd be used. heck, sending the guy from first on the double steal to score the winning run STILL works today occasionally in the majors.

Run up the score? Never bothered me. If I can't stop your team from scoring, that's my problem, not yours. Outside of bunting for a hit and stealing bases with a big lead, it's all fair game and even that isn't a problem if I realize that you're close to the run rule (don't have that one on TV, do they?) and can save pitching by pushing across one more run and ending the game. What I do find insulting is moving your players station-to-station when you have a big lead. Play the game.

We may not agree on tactics, but that is no reason for you to get personal with your attacks. I enjoyed your other post. It even brought a tear to my eye, but I lost a little respect for you here.