Skip to main content

Reply to "Is it going too far?"

roothog66:  nothing personal on my end, sorry you felt attacked.  Although you may not have witnessed anyone seriously injured, that was not a result of anything you had control over, it just happened that way.  All it takes is one, and in my opinion, at the age you described (12u) one is too many. 

Also, I watched again the other night the movie "Cobb"...it reminded me how much he was liked an revered by all for his tactics...not my cup of tea.  Just because someone did it along the way, doesn't justify it in my eyes.  If you want to lose respect for me because of that, so be it.

I was one who watched my son carted off the field in a 12u tournament in Texas, by getting hit with a line drive from 46' while pitching.  Head strapped to a gurney, on stretcher, flying down I-35 to Children's Hopsital was as frightening as it gets.  I can tell you this, at that distance, whether 3B, 1B, or pitcher, or any defensive stance you want to have, a bullet is not getting snagged unless the "ball catches the glove".

In softball you see infielders with headgear, not so in baseball.  To each his own, legal, strategy, or whatever anyone wants to call it, I don't like it at all.