Skip to main content

Reply to "Is it going too far?"

Originally Posted by Back foot slider:

smitty28:  standard bunt coverage distance is what I am talking about, not in the batter's lap!  Yes, in the correct bunt coverage unless you drop to the ground, you are not going to avoid a line drive the first time that particular play is used.  After that, sure it is the 3B's responsibility to have his own "rule" of how far he feels comfortable coming in.  So to answer you questions, NO - I don't think the 3B put himself in danger, 50' from the batters box is not crashing too far, but it is too close, and puts him in a defenseless position against a batted ball headed for his forehead. 

Nobody is asking the offense to pullback, however my OP was asking, do folks think the risk is worth the reward up to the HS level.  I've been around the game all my life, I know it is legal.  I just questioned whether the majority are a fan of this particular play.  I for one am not.  I agree with Sylent Green's response, I guess I am not that steadfast when used sparingly, but not repeatedly, and if so, maybe a message pitch is in order.

No thirdbasman charging a bunt that has been around baseball more than a coupe of weeks should be in a "defenseless position." It's not like a receiver stretching out to make a catch, he should have his glove in a position to make a play of some sort. The pitcher, on the otherhand can be considered to be in a "defenseless position."