Skip to main content

Reply to "Is it going too far?"

Originally Posted by roothog66:
Originally Posted by Soylent Green:
Originally Posted by roothog66:

Personally, I feel the slash bunt is useless if it's used more than occasionally. Then what you get is a lot of easy line drives to the third/first baseman who has learned not to charge very far. Far better that it be a total surprise. Honestly, at very young ages or even at, say, 12u at lower levels of ball. Not many batters can pull it off anyway.

But the butcher boy can be "gamed" by using it a couple of times, then dropping a bunt down third, then back to the butcher boy.  I have seen that type of thing more than a couple of times, not an entire lineup... but the same 3-4 guys repeatedly throughout a game. Someone said this doesn't happen in higher level ball because the defenses are so good.  No, this could be an effective offensive strategy against a Miguel Cabrerra type defender at a given level.  The reason it doesn't go on is because, to complete the example, the Max Scherzer type player would plant the second guy who tried to pull that.

I doubt that. I've seen the Rockies use it multiple times in the same game without incident. It's not considered "bush" or bad play at that level, simply part of the traditional strategy of the game. Now, do it up by 10 runs, you got one in the ear coming.

Your saying that the Rockies will repeatdly employ and fake the butcher boy along with executing actual bunts?  All I can say is that I've sure never seen anything like that.  Not talking about a speedster maybe faking a quick bunt look on a take or something like that to draw in 3B a step or two.  I'm talking about a true butcher boy: square convincingly, then pull back and swing with all you've got. If a guy did a butcher boy once, then later came back around in the order and tried either an actual bunt OR another butcher boy... I think most pitchers would nail him, with extreme prejudice. Nolan Ryan would avoid the Christmas rush by throwing at any guy who squared at any time... but I digress...