Skip to main content

Reply to "Is it now the norm for Coaches to over-recruit knowing they will cut players?"

"  Now for the part I disagree with - there are absolutely NOT a lot of D1 players on D3 rosters.  Maybe one here and there - MAYBE. But with a very rare exception D1 players are on D1 rosters & D3 players are on D3 rosters."

I am constantly intrigued at how this type of issue generates friction at various times on this site.  To say it is a rare exception, in my view, is pretty much inaccurate.  One would only need to compile the successes of D3 players in Summer Wood bat leagues to prove that point.  The 2016 Trinity CWS team had players and pitchers in Wood Bat leagues from the Northwoods, to NECBL to the Coastal Plain and others and more than 1/2 of them were top performers and All Stars.

We have to remember D1 covers nearly 300 teams.  One could venture to say and be pretty accurate that teams from 100-300 are not fully funded and many of those are funded with few scholarships. As Gov correctly views the situation, in my opinion, many players and pitchers at the top performing D3's would do very well at the D1 level when we get outside most of the Power 5 and probably 30-50 more programs beyond those.