Skip to main content

Reply to "Is it now the norm for Coaches to over-recruit knowing they will cut players?"

Elijah posted:
Midwest Mom posted:

I'm all for equating baseball with a job because in the real world someone who takes a job and then either doesn't show up or comes back and says, "Sorry, I've accepted a job somewhere else," is called unethical (someone else said "classless") and I think immature.  Same applies to students -- or schools -- who do the same in this baseball recruiting world.  Sometimes circumstances do change for programs and for players, but this is not what we're really talking about here is it?  This thread has been eye opening for me -- thanks to those of you who have shared.

Not the same scenario that I was asking about. One usually does not accept a job and then have 4 to 5 years to report to it. In that time, your employer might find someone else that they like better than you. They look every year for better talent than the year before. But you have stopped looking for other opportunities. You wouldn't do this with a job. So yes, I was talking about things changing, more specifically from a school's perspective and how it would affect the player's future. 

Just to be clear, if my kid gave a verbal to university, the idea would be not to give it unless he is meaning to honor it. But I also do not think it is a big deal if another school wanted to chime in with, "If things change, we would like to talk to you." Because what if things change, like a coaching change? Happens alot in football. Although I am not even sure if that is allowed. Just learning as I go here. 

Agreed. Which is why committing too early is a huge risk for the player, as others have pointed out.