Skip to main content

Reply to "Is it really my business if my 12u doesn't want to pitch?"

I understand that baseball is a team sport.  I am all for the "wherever you need me coach" type of player.  But, I can't agree with putting a kid on the mound that doesn't want to be there.  When I coach young kids, 9-12, I tel them all at the beginning of the year, I plan on having you pitch at least one inning.  A lot of kids say "Well I've never pitched"...and I tell them, well, I want you to experience what it takes to be a pitcher, maybe you'll like it maybe you won't.  I have had kids try it and like it.  I have had kids try it and say "never again", and I've had kids refuse to do it.  The ones that refuse, I did not push, just left the door open for the opportunity when they felt comfortable enough to give it a shot.

Why put a kid on the mound when he doesn't want to be there?  You're risking the chance of evoking a bad attitude out of the kid and then having it spread like cancer, especially at 12.  IMO, in the OP's statement, I don't recall them saying their kid would only play a certain position, just that he didn't want to pitch.  I don't consider that being selfish or anti-team.  Forcing a kid to take the mound, IMO, is a bad move.  There is no real upside for it except for the Coach exerting his authority.