Skip to main content

Reply to "Is it really my business if my 12u doesn't want to pitch?"

Originally Posted by Shoveit4Ks:

I was the guy who was not happy that my kid wasn't pitching at 9 & 10. Dad /Coach pitched his kids all season and moved my kid from SS to CF. He did pitch some at 11 and won a USAAA championship on the mound but was not the main guy. At 12 he got a few innings in Cooperstown but nothing really for the whole season as we came into a mature rostered team for that cooperstown experience with an east cobb team (got 4th from 106 teams). I was "freaking" out because i thought it mattered then to pitch. At 13, he got a few innings, (same coach that saw potential at 11) and did fine but was not starter. At 14....he lost his infield spot at 2nd, due to not hitting well and was saved by a pitching coach who saw his potential to get guys out. He became our bullpen guy. Fast forward to today, i could hug all the SOBs who wouldnt pitch my kid in youth travel ball, heck i'll buy em a beer too.....or maybe even send em a Snuggie for the cold nights watching Bull Durham and wishing their kids were playing ball or they were still coaching, most are not.

I'm super happy, because none of them used up my son for meaningless games in meaningless tournaments with inflated pitch counts  to try and win a rinky dink tournament. I was wrong about pitching at the younger ages and i accept it.

I'm freaking sorry.