Skip to main content

Reply to "Is it still fun at 15?"

Again, Coach May and TPM are spot on.  For me, high school was not stressful in the least.  There was never a doubt son would make the high school team, so we never worried too much there.  Our high school was a 6A, which is the largest classification in the state, and had a history of being a very good program.  In my opinion, the stress was in the summer because that is when all the "eyes" are on your son.  As I look back now, I think it was WAY more stressful on me than on my son.  If your son loves playing the game, I doubt he will ever tell you it was stressful.  I think we as parents make things way bigger than they are.  I am just as guilty, if not more so, so I am not on a soapbox.  My son is just embarking on his college career.  I can only imagine the stressful moments, assuming he gets mound time.  But, one thing I have learned over the past few years, I am going to try to enjoy every single minute as much as I can because it will be over in the blink of an eye.  I do know he and I have had conversations in the past when he was starting a big game or pitching in front of college recruiters or pro scouts.  I would ask him after the game, "Were you nervous?"  His typical reply would be something along the lines, "Dad, I didn't even notice anyone in the stands.  I was just focusing on the mitt and hitting my spots."  If you played sports competitively, then you know exactly what he is saying.  I think it is always harder on the parents (or spouse as you get older) than it is on the player.  The players are just doing their job.  No different than if you were to go watch an open heart surgery.  I guarantee you that you would be nervous that something was going to go wrong.  That cardiothorasic surgeon looks at it as just another day at the office.  Most everything depends on the perspective you are looking from.  It's so cliche', but try to enjoy the ride and be there to support your son as far as this great game takes him.