Skip to main content

Reply to "Is it still fun at 15?"

Originally Posted by JCG:

Originally Posted by ironhorse:
Originally Posted by 2020dad:
 Bottom line the same kids who are dominant players at 12 are usually dominant at 18. 

I guess we're in extremely different talent pools, but I've seen this proved wrong more times than I can remember. Some stay dominant and some get passed by.

Success at 12 in no way guarantees success at 18. A little thing called puberty often kicks in. 

A little thing called work ethic too.  My kid played with two boys at 13U who were big, strong and quite gifted. Neither was a perfect player, but both were very, very good.  Of those two, one is out of the game, and the other is a top HS player, plays for a regional powerhouse showcase team, and has a verbal to a Pac12 team. The difference is that one kid rested on his natural ability and resisted efforts from coaches help him get better.  The other is coach-able, works his butt off to get better every day,  and then works some more.

The work ethic thing I get.  But the dominant players fading a lot...  just never seen a lot of that.  But again I may have a different definition of dominant.