Skip to main content

Reply to "Is it too soon to start discussion about Summer Baseball?"

For the record Nashua has THREE Senior Babe Ruth teams and I think an American Legion Team also??

Legion teams & Senior Babe ruth teams do NOT have winter programs that the AAU type teams do. I think that is a big reason that kids tend to matriculate towards these programs. Plus the majority of these programs travel up and down the East coast playing in tournaments and facing the best kids from different parts of the country not just a kid from Keene or Portsmouth. The claliber of player they are facing is as good as or better then you'll find in Senior Babe Ruth or American Legion here in NH. I'm not knocking the summer leagues around here, heck my son will most likely go that route in a couple of years. NH has some talented kids but just look at the results of last weeks draft. How many of the 1500+ players drafted were true NH players who grew up here in NH...were there any? More then 5? I doubt more then 5. At a big tournament down south they will face probably 15 -20 kids just in that tournament that will be drafted out of high school.

As far as Hudon goes he plays for an AAU program that his High School coach (Anderson) runs. Seeing my son is also a 14U and will be playing Babe Ruth all-stars and Merrimack is in our district I'm not sad to see him focusing on AAU...lol. Makes it easier for Nashua (they did beat him last year as a 13U but he has improved greatly over the winter.)

Legion and Senior Babe Ruth is good solid baseball but if a player is really special his odds are bettered by playing on a good solid 17U AAU program that plays down south in the tournaments that the scouts and college coaches attend. That is what a bunch of the Portsmouth Legion kids have done this season. Plus they got good solid winter workouts in before the High School season.