Skip to main content

Reply to "Is it too soon to start discussion about Summer Baseball?"

Without a doubt, this is the best forum posting to date…worthy of Hot Stove honors, I hope it continues into the cold winter months.

Couple of thoughts if I may; why are kids playing summer ball at the 14 to 18 age level? First, they must love PLAYING the game or else they would be at the beach or hanging out at the pool. Second, they want to improve their skills and level of play. No question that competition is important for this, but coaching (and real mentoring) are equally if not more important. A good coach will see and correct flaws, inspire sportsmanship and foster a respect for the game. Thirdly, kids want to be seen (scouted) for college prospects.

Babe Ruth, Legion, or AAU all fulfill the playing the game. Coaching? I have seen some tip top coaching at AAU. Granite State shares that he has coached against some less than desirable AAU coaching opponents, but unfortunately we can find them from Cal Ripken Juniors through the most competitive leagues. Thank heavens (in my experience anyway) the good outnumber the bad. Finally, the kids want to be seen. Are your chances better being seen playing Senior Babe Ruth in NH or traveling throughout New England and New York on a quality AAU travel team? (My bet is on the travel team.)

A little anecdotal evidence to add to the mix - Concord’s Senior Babe Ruth Little Blue played the Concord U- 14 AAU team this past Saturday; two great games. In the first, the AAU team took an 8-6 lead into the 7th inning against the high school players, but couldn’t hold on and lost 9-8. In the second game, the 8th and 9th graders beat their upper classmen opponents in another great contest, 5-4. Who is better, Babe Ruth or AAU? They meet again this Saturday at Memorial Field in Concord at 11:00 and another great chapter will undoubtedly be written.