Skip to main content

Reply to "Is my son a good candidate for recruiting?"

hopefulmom posted:

All very interesting information. At the very least, you have instilled some hope in me that this isn't a no win situation. I want to be the supportive mom but also want to guide him to make the best choice and be realistic about those choices. 

He does email the coaches of the programs that he is interested in, but it hasn't been 30 schools. It's been about 12. He doesn't have a live video yet to link, but hoping the PG showcase will provide us with one we can use. He was filmed during a D2 prospect camp by the pitching coach and he said he would share it with us but was having difficulty sending it as of late. 

Thanks for all the comments! 

12 coaches is way too small of a sample, unless they have specifically told him he is the number 1 guy on their recruiting depth chart.  My guess is at least half, if not 3/4, of them are just showing passing interest.  Keeping an eye on him just in case their other recruits back out.

I would not rely on anyone other then yourself to do any of the recruiting.  Including putting together videos or contacting coaches.  You, and more specifically your son, need to take the lead when it comes to this stuff.  There was just a thread a few weeks back about someone who expected others do do some of this stuff for them and they never produced.  

Here is my suggestion.  Shoot a recruiting video.  There is a specific format that it needs to be in. For a pitcher you are going to want to shoot a bull pen session with a radar gun visible.  Throw about 10 fastballs, 5 change ups and 5 breaking balls from the wind up.  Repeat for the set position.  Set cameras up behind the pitcher, behind the catcher and one looking directly at the pitcher from the side.  When he is in the set position the camera should be looking at his face side, not his back side.  The radar gun can be shown in the view from behind the catcher.  If you are good at video editing you can splice the radar gun readings into the lower portion of the frame for each pitch.  If not, just showing it from behind the catcher is good.

The video should be no longer then 1.5 minutes in length.  It is ok to cut the video to show "rapid fire" pitches, but make sure you see the whole pitch including the wind up and coming set.  Its also ok to film a bunch of pitches and pick out the best ones.  The video should not contain any graphics other then an intro screen with your sons info on it.  Keep the intro clean.  Name, HS, travel program, grad year, height, weight, pitch velo, phone number and email address (your son's not yours).  Also, no music, special effects, folks yelling about how great of a pitch that was, etc.