Skip to main content

Reply to "Is my son good enough to play College"

Cabbagedad brings up an interesting point that I've never got total clarification on... If a kid goes to JUCO/Community College and maintains 12 or more hours per semester, does it MATTTER what type of classes he takes???

Some kids are interested in welding, machining, plumbing, construction, electrical, etc... Of course, these aren't college transfer courses and won't lead to a BA or BS. They are terminal 2 yr degrees or 1 yr diplomas.

One community college coach told me that as long as the kid is taking 12 hours, he can take whatever he wants. Another said that the kids need to be in college transferrable courses. 

From what I can tell, yes, a kid can take vocational coursework at a CC or JUCO and be eligible to play. And if the kid is interested in playing two years and going to work in that vocation, or is sure of getting drafted, then it is perfectly fine by NJCAA guidelines (I think). However, if the kid decides to transfer, then it won't work.

The reality is that most kids go the AA or AS route in hopes of transferring to a four year to play. I wonder how many, if any, actually take the vocational classes if that is what they're really interested in?

One kid I know started out at a 4 year Liberal Arts private D2 and didn't like it at all. After his first fall, he left and transferred to a CC. He pitched there and did very well the following two years while taking AA transfer courses. His dad said his plan was to stop playing after his sophomore season, come back home, attend the local community college, and take welding courses. Of course, he pitched very well and was recruited by an in state D2, so he went and pitched instead. I wonder if after 5 years of college classes and baseball, will he go back to the local CC and learn to weld?