Skip to main content

Reply to "Is November 2018 Headfirst Camp too late for 2019"

cluelessDad2019 posted:

Clueless Jr is a 2019 RHP, and a late bloomer (we hope). He is not currently on anybody's radar. He is a good student and we are hoping that a good showing at a Fall Senior year camp will generate a D3 coaches interest.

If he were to attend a Nov 2018 camp (HF), would this be too late to catch an interest, visit a school, decide if it was a good fit, and apply in time? We have been and will continue to visit schools on our own, but we are casting a wide net, which makes it tough to cover. 

This is all feeling pretty real now, and i want to make sure i don't shoot myself in the foot with a bad plan. 

TIA

The timing is not a problem as it relates to the typical D3 recruiting period.  But there are two other issues to keep in mind that can make this challenging.  

1. - If he gets some decent interest, it becomes logistically difficult to make multiple visits in a short time frame.  We have a 2018 (not son but a player in my HS program) going through that now.  He is making several visits all over the country.  He is enjoying it but he is certainly missing some school time and it is costing a pretty penny.  It is somewhat helpful that some of his travels are coordinated by his travel team/organization - they visit clusters of schools regionally on pre-planned trips designed to specifically target this level of schools.  Just a lot to squeeze into a short time slot.  It will help that you have already visited several schools but in many cases, the HC/RC will want the player to come back to the school if there is mutual interest.  

2. - applying ED.  I don't know enough detail to speak to this in any depth but I know it factors in for many looking at high academic schools.

Last edited by cabbagedad