Skip to main content

Reply to "Is parent coaching/teaching the norm for exceptional HS success?"

Getting back on track,
BrianShanberg, good thought provoking thread!
I think God given talent is a pure blessing and those born with it who back it up with an incredible work ethic and great coaching, are the ones who have the best shot at making/breaking records.....throw in a Little Lady Luck and you get magic!
With all of that said, I have witnessed the " underdog " make it all the way, and that to me is also magic in and of itself.

From a personal standpoint I deserve my own labotomey. I never let my oldest son play football until the 9th grade. ( I'll slap myself for that one, than you very much!)
He got to highschool in Hawaii his freshman year and decided to try and play. He found himself going up against 350 lb. experienced Samoan players who tossed him around like he was the Flying Nunn.

First game, first play,...he goes the wrong way and ** splat **.
He looked like a bug that flew head on into my windsheild.
13 stitches to the chin and a concussion- PRETTY!
( He was carried off the field muttering something about zebras. )

He was at a disadvantage. The kid had no game savey, no playing experience, several pre-season weeks of coaching, and that was it. He paid the Piper for it many times over.
Wish I had started him playing when he was 8!
My bad,...bug big time!

Press forward:
We moved to Kansas and he made the starting
Varsity ( 6A ) team.
( not too many 350 lb. Samoans over here Wink )
Worked his rumpus off like a mad dog.
Had to,.....was sick of getting it handed to him on a platter! Big Grin

Made All League, lead in tackles, and had college scholarships waiting for him his senior year.

Sometimes we get lucky ( whew ) and things work out, but why make it an uphill battle the entire way?
My son wanted to play when he was younger and I held him back. That was a mistake.
My hat goes off to the kids who go out to play baseball or any sport for the first time at the highschool+ level.

They've got gumption!
Last edited by shortstopmom