Skip to main content

Reply to "'Is player entitlement ruining our sport?'"

Originally Posted by lionbaseball:

I just read the article by the two college coaches and find it hard to believe that as competitive as is college baseball that a player would question the coach about his decisions.  

He gave a perfect example to explain his statement.

“In 1975, my first year at Cal State Fullerton, we made it to the College World Series,” he said. “We had a guy named Dave Robb who had played second base all season and when we got to Omaha we moved him to first base. He told me, ‘Whatever helps the team coach.’

If I did that today, the player would look at me and say, ‘Are you kidding me? I’ve got four select team coaches, three professional scouts and my mailman who used to play triple-A baseball telling me that my future is at second base. What are you doing to me?’”

I'm wondering if this is more of a story that young kids hear from the grandparents about walking in 2 foot of snow to school everyday. 

Totally agree with Lion's take on this.  It's a general statement that just doesn't ring true.  My guess is that he knows people will read this and he's just making a preemptive strike: "If you're gonna play for me, you're gonna have to be ready to play wherever I tell you."  I have seen isolated instances of a kid's inflexibility in my son's HS program, but that inflexibility is rooted in a FATHER's convictions about his son's abilities and talents at a particular position.