Skip to main content

Reply to "Is there a baseball field under this snow?"

Originally Posted by MN-Mom:

I'm looking out at the snow in a suburb of Minneapolis and wondering how long it will be until baseball fields are ready for the local HS teams.  6 weeks?

My baseball player graduated from HS in 2004 and hasn't played baseball now since college, but I still can feel the anticipation that started to grow at this time of year. Usually at some point in Feb. the snow would start to melt down so that we could see some grass, and I'd start to get hopeful that it was really going away. Maybe local fields would be ready for the first scheduled game - and halfway decent for March practices! But usually there was at least one more big snowfall that caused a few games to be postponed.

How about you?  What level does your son play at now, and when is his first practice and game scheduled?

Julie

My son is at a DII JUCO (PHCC in Martinsville, VA).  They've been practicing since early January and the first games (doubleheader) were this past Sunday.  They split - won game 1 2-0 and lost game 2 4-2.  To my surprise, my son (a freshman position player 1B) actually played.  He was the DH in game one - was 0-1 with a walk, sac fly and a RBI.  Game 2 he started at 1B and went 1-3 at the plate.

Our HS has tryouts starting next Monday with the first game in early March.  Not much snow here (east central VA) this winter unlike my son's sophomore HS year where they had to have tryouts in the parking lot due to 10" snow on the field.