Skip to main content

Reply to "Is there a nice way to ask if the program is funded?"

Cherokeeplayer posted:

For the record, I don't care if they are fully funded, just wondered if there was a way to know if they were funded.

I like to know details, if you don't know details how do you know if you are getting a good offer, or if there is anything to offer?  "Well Johnny we would like to offer you a walk-on spot because we only have 1 scholarship funded" is a bit different than "Johnny we would like to offer you a walk-on spot because we have used our 11.7 already and we only sort of like you."

With the late time frame of low D1 recruiting I don't think there will be much time to ponder choices, being forewarned is forearmed type of thing. Just thought I'd throw the question out there.  I do like the idea of getting a current team members number though, interesting thought. He can ask the horse's mouth, so to speak.

My son is at a mid-major D1.  We have had this conversation a couple times.  He really no idea if his program is fully funded or not.  We never asked....they offered us a number that was workable for us along with his academic money and we took it.    A friend who had a son being recruited by them a year after my son told us they were not...but were adding 1 more last year (still below 11.7), but we don't know for sure.  My son is a junior now.  He has a pretty good idea which kids getting money and which aren't but doesn't know exactly how much....it seems to be something that's not talked about unless it happens to slip out in a conversation lol.