Skip to main content

Reply to "Is there a 'prime-time' college recruiting period?"

What I do is shoot video myself ... I'll just put the camera on a tri-pod and walk away ... don't want my voice on the audio, though I can usually pick out my wife's :-). Then I edit it down on my home PC (I use Pinnacle Studio 9) by eliminating all the 'dead' time ... I can compress 3-4 innings of pitching down to about 8-9 minutes of video. I show every pitch as I think it's important to show how he works himself out of a bind with runners in scoring position or works the count. I then generate a streaming video file so it can be viewed while it's being downloaded, and upload it onto a website I maintain. I create videos by category ... pitching, hitting, fielding. Right now, I've just got actual game situations, no 'training' videos. I keep a record of any of the schools that have sent recruiting letters or e-mails, and I e-mail the coaches a URL to any new videos I update to the site as we move through the season. Nothing to throw away, nothing to get lost on the desk, and the coaches can easily check for new stuff at their convenience.

As my son is also an '06, it's too soon to tell if this is helping, but I'm having fun doing it and at a minimum he'll have some memories to look at ... though I do monopolize our home PC a bit and I did have to upgrade to something fast enough to easily handle a lot of video.