Skip to main content

Reply to "Is there a 'prime-time' college recruiting period?"

If you're willing to invest some time, and maybe a little $$$, it's not too hard to do this yourself. The camera I use is nothing special, just an old Sony digital-8mm that has a Firewire connection. The video editing software was about $100. Figuring out the video editing part just takes a little time messing around with it to learn what's possible ... it's actually pretty simple to do the basic stuff. The main cost issue for me was the cost of upgrading my home PC ... the absolute worst part of editing video is if you have to wait, and wait ... and wait for a slow PC to crunch the pixels on every little change you make. You just want to give up. A 3Ghz+ Pentium 4 with 1GB of memory and a reasonably fast graphics card makes drag-n-drop of video snippets as fast as you can move your mouse, but you'll also need a sizable HD if you're shooting a lot of games, or archive it off onto DVD with a DVD burner.

The other side benefit: While the video is running by itself, I usually walk around taking a lot of still digital photography. A couple of other dads and I 'pooled' our digital photos of the HS varsity team ... I then selected the best 300 or so of all the players, used the video editing software to build a slideshow, laid down some music tracks with transitions timed to the music track, DVD chapters 'themed' by each music track and burned a bunch of end-of-season DVDs for the varsity team. The last DVD chapter was of the final CIF game, mostly photos of the seniors, their final senior post-game 'meeting', that faded out to Stevie Ray Vaughn's "Missing You", a wailing blues guitar rip. The players loved it.
Last edited by pbonesteele