Skip to main content

Reply to "Is this an error?"

It’s interesting how there are so many good answers, but there are a couple worth additional mention.

smokeminside posted: To be honest, I was paying more attention to the outfielder than to where the runner was. 

The same thing happens to everyone. A big difference between an adequate SK and a good one, is the good one will figger out how to watch the runners a lot more than the adequate ones. In general, most people are watching the ball because that’s what determines the action.

In a case like this one, a play between 2nd and home, a lot depends on where the SK is sitting. If s/he’s on the 3rd base side by the dugout, s/he can see the runner and fielder at the same time. If s/he’s on the 1st base side by the dugout, it’s more difficult to see the runner and fielder at the same time. Of course the opposite is true on plays between home and 2nd.

SanDiegoRealist posted: I would also look at what the coach was telling the runner to do.

It’s very difficult for SKs to watch the play, i.e. the fielders and runners, and have the presence of mind to look at the base coach to see what he’s doing. To be honest, it’s very seldom I notice a coach’s actions. In this case, without paying some attention to the batter/runner, it would be difficult to say why he went to 2nd, if he did.

Good question.