Skip to main content

Reply to "Is this an error?"

This has been a great, illuminating discussion.   Obviously, I'm not an official scorer, but I think baseball scoring is fascinating when ordinary effort has to be determined.  And, in this case, my son's best friend was the catcher, and we are close with his parents.  His other best friend is the RF who made what I thought was a perfect throw, and we are also close with his parents.  I keep the GameChanger for the team and what I score becomes the official book for the team stats. Pressure to be accurate abounds as it should, regardless of the relationships, but those relationships can complicate objectivity.  Especially when the run scored was the winning run in an intense game where the results determined each team's playoff future.

I gave no error on the play. It was not a bang/bang play but it wasn't a gimmee, either.  The ball skipped off the grass a bit, complicating things.  As far as ordinary effort is concerned, the catcher had made the same play successfully a couple of innings earlier.  If the ball hadn't gone directly into his mitt off the bounce, I wouldn't have had a question about the play.

Finally, I remember a lot of hubbub a few years ago when an MLB hitter got all over a scorekeeper for giving an error to one of three fielders who let a popfly drop between them.  My memory is that he actually got the scorekeeper to change the play to a hit. Pretty sure there was a discussion here about it. If a professional scorekeeper in an MLB game is not going to give an error on a play like that, then I'm never going to give one either.  Seems dumb not to give the error, even with the rule book in front me.

Thanks everyone, again.  Always learn a lot about scoring here.  Certainly not a science.

Last edited by smokeminside